Thursday 11 February 2010

King Raven

My entry for this week's challenge over at 4x4 Friday (and I've only just scraped in at the last minute with this one). It's another experiment with inks and charcoal, and probably not my best work, but I guess part of learning is making mistakes and admitting them.
The theme was King Raven, one of the noblest of birds and the subjects of much mythology. In the old Norse tales Odin had two ravens Huginn (Thought) and Muninn (Memory). Each day they fly over the whole world and report back all that they see .

From Grímnismál (the sayings of Grímnir)
Hugin and Munin fly each day
over the spacious earth.
I fear for Hugin, that he come not back,
yet more anxious am I for Munin

6 comments:

  1. Its lovely...I am surprised you left it so late. Thought the King Raven theme would have had your name written all over it! See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think King Raven is wonderful. You could just add the new theme to it and call it Spirit. Don't you think that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that story and your art portrayal is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the LO Nigel, i always enjoy the history/mythology lessons too. I pass little things like that on to my kids. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.